How to Install ARK
Downloading and installing the latest release of ARK is easier than ever… Read More
How to Upgrade
We have compiled a guide for upgrading from previous versions of ARK to the latest code… Read More
To help get you started, we’ve created two complete configurations for archaeological recording based on some of our existing projects. Read More
In addition to basic installation and upgrade instructions and our detailed wiki pages, the ARK team have also developed some… Read More
Before attempting any upgrades, make sure you TAKE A BACKUP of your existing database and ARK files.
Upgrading from v1.1 to v1.1.1
Updating from v1.1 to v1.1.1 is very easy.
1. Unpack the ARK code somewhere you can work on it
2. Copy the config folder from your existing ARK into the 1.1.1 version
3. Rename the ARK 1.1.1 folder to match the dir name in your config/env_settings.php
4. Replace the existing ARK folder on your server with the new folder
5. Continue using ARK, safe in the knowledge that it is a more secure web environment!
Upgrading from v1.0.x to v1.1
Updating from ARK v1.0.x to v1.1 requires you to copy the config from your current ARK into the config folder of the new version overwriting the standard configuration that ships with ARK.
Many of the config options have been optimised for the release of v1.1 so a wholesale copy of your v1.0 settings will not work, instead you must complete the following steps:
1. The variables in env_settings must be updated to match your environment. The easiest way to do this is to take the fresh template from the v1.1 package and customise it your your server setup (discarding your old file).
2. Copy any mod_***_settings files that you have into the config folder.
3. You will need to change the register settings of your modules to match the new way the register is created. simply replace the line:
‘script’ => ‘php/data_entry/register.php’,
‘script’ => ‘php/subforms/sf_register_tbl.php’,
4. You may need to update your field alias settings in the module settings. We recommend that you move the field setting into the field_settings file.
5. If your field settings are out of date you may find our ‘fieldupdater.php’ tool helpful. To use it copy your old field into the field array (line 36) when you navigate your browser to the fieldupdater.php page you will be presented with the new style. If you want to convert more than one filed at once copy them all into the field array, separating each with a comma.
6. Update the page_settings.php file to include all of your modules in the module list starting at line 72. You can remove the ABK at this point if you wish.
7. You must add your modules to the list of modules in the subform settings that are using in the left panel of pages where you want to access them from (at least the home page, but also probably the micro view and data entry pages)
8. If you have made any changes to the subforms on your core pages then you must mirror these in the page settings file, and do the same with any changes to the search page defaults.
9. Finally run the v1to1.1.sql file on your database.
If you have completed all of these steps for all of your modules then you should be able to access your new v1_1 ARK and start making use of the new features. If you have any problems get in touch with the ARK team through : ARK Development Team.
Note, if you have made changes to the look and feel of your ARK you can copy your skin file into the ARK skins directory, and update the ARK skin in settings.php. Be aware that some of the formatting of ARK has changed, so some required styles may be missing in your css files. We have updated our own style since v1, so be sure to have a look!
Upgrading v0.7 to v1.0
We never managed to complete a comprehensive walkthrough for upgrading from v0.7 to the latest ARK release. If you are running v0.7 and would like to upgrade direct to v1.1 please contact the ARK team to get some help and guidance on what to do.
If you have any problems, please get in touch and we’ll do all we can to help get you up and running with the latest ARK code