Pre-configured ARK setups are available from the ARK team. If you are unfamiliar with the setup and administration of webservers along with the security risks to your system and data this entails, please consider contacting us to acquire a fully running ARK. For those of you who have already got a server and want to go though the installation procedure, we have provided the following notes:
Detailed How-To documents have been written to take the new administrator through the installation and setup of MS4W, Mapserver, and ARK. They can be downloaded here.
ARK requires the following open source software packages to be installed on your server:
- Apache 2
- PHP 5
- MySQL 5
- PEAR Liveuser
In order to benefit from the spatial integration offered by ARK, you will also need the following packages:
- PHP Mapscript
Apache PHP MySQL
On most Linux distributions these packages will be installed by default. ARK is not particularly fussy about the version numbers of these packages and should run ok on PHP4 and MySQL4, although this may require some minor modifications. It is important to ensure that you have the gd and dbase php extensions enabled.
You will need to make sure that you set the short_open_tag option to On in your php.ini.
The MS4W distribution also contains Mapserver and if this is installed only MySQL needs to be added.
ARK runs on top of these packages and does not provide any set up of them or additional security to them. If you are using your server exposed to the internet, it is essential that you follow good standard security practice for the configuration of your packages. This setup is outside of the scope of this documentation and you are advised to undertake your research carefully.
The PEAR Liveuser is used to ensure effective security for the ARK system. ARK makes use of PEAR LiveUser, LiveUser_Admin, MDB2, and MDB2_driver_mysql, DB, and Event_Dispatcher. All of these packages will need to be installed in order for ARK user authentication to function.
For details on how to install and configure live user, and the associated packages required, please see the PEAR website. PLEASE NOTE that ALL the PEAR SQL tables are already included with the basic ARK database, and do not need to be added to the database again during PEAR setup. ALSO the required PEAR depencies are included with the v0.6 files in the 'examples' directory.
MS4W  is a no fuss installer for setting up MapServer on Microsoft Windows platforms. It includes a Apache HTTP version, PHP, Mapserver and loads of nice tools.
MS4W is super simple to install on a server. Either download  the base package which consists of a folder which unpacks to the C-drive of the server or try out the new installer.
If you are using the base package you need to start the Apache server by running C:\ms4w\apache-install.bat. If the installation is succesful you should get the main page by pointing you browser to http://localhost/ or http://127.0.0.1/.
If this does not work it is very likely that your port 80 is already in use. Go to C:\ms4w\Apache\conf\httpd.conf and on line 120 change LISTEN 80 to LISTEN 8080 or another port which is not in use.
Mapscript runs on all three major operating systems. The installation instructions vary depending on many factors. Detailed installation instructions are available on the Mapserver website.
Ark is installed by unpacking the source code into the document root of the webserver where you intend to host it. The second phase of installation is then the initial setup and creation of the empty database.
Download the latest source code from http://ark.lparchaeology.com/downloads and unpack it into the document root of your server. If you are unsure of the correct location of the document root, you could try reading the manual of your apache distribution.
Install a database
In order for ark to work, you need to install an ARK database on your MySQL server. Preconfigured sample databases are available for download from the download area of the ARK site. At present you must install the sql dump on the server manually using your tool of choice. We think that phpMyAdmin is a good way to do this.
- Download your chosen database dump file
- Point your browser at the phpMyAdmin installation on your web-server
- Make an empty database, by going to the Databases screen and filling in the Create new database box. Make the Collation utf8_unicode_ci and that should deal with most character sets.
- Once the database is created, switch to it and choose Import
- Using the Browse button, point it at the file that you have downloaded (it should be a tar.gz) - make the character set utf8
- Click Go and wait a little while, and the database structure should be loaded up fine.
- You will need to set up a user and give it at least SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE privileges to the new db.
Update the DB Settings
Setup Windows server for ARK
This will take you through setting up a windows server from scratch to work for ARK.
Download and install
- MS4W, newest release: http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/
- Download with installer
- Install without ad-on packages
- Install in C:\
- Install in port 80 unless it is already in use then use port 8080
- Go to http://127.0.0.1 or http://localhost to check that it is running.
- You can also go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and check that the Apache MS4W Web Server is started.
- Download MySQL community server: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
- Install a typical installation
- Server Machine
- Transactional Database Only
- Installation path C:
- Online Transaction Processing
- Enable TCP?IP Networking on port nr. 3306
- Enable Strict Mode
- Best Support for Multilingualism
- Install as Windows Service
- Include Bin Directory in Windows PATH
- Set root password
- You can also go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and check that the MySQL is started.
- Firstly make sure that there is a path to the folder containing php.exe in the environmental variables: Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environmental Variables > System Variables: Click Edit for the 'path' variable and add ; and the full path to the folder after the last path (in this case C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin
- Restart the server after this.
- Now go to the command line and find the folder containing go-pear.bat (should be C:\ms4w\Apache\php) and type in go-pear.bat
- This will run the pear installation and if you can get this to work then congratulations. I give up here and move the old pear files over from another project.
Browse to ARK directory
After browsing to the ARK directory you should now be able to see the login pages for the database. The tutorial database is created with the following two user accounts:
username: janedoe password: janedoe username: johnsmith password: johnsmith